Mar 28, 2012

it's raining pills

Being in online groups for things is so brilliant.  You don't have to interact with people and you can just scroll past the conversations you have no interest in.  Okay, so I'm obviously on the spectrum too, or I just hate people, or both.  In these groups I have recently seen a whole bunch of parents who are new to the diagnosis, or having new issues.  We all know this disorder evolves in strange ways.  One second your kid is in love with Spongebob and the next second you'd think Spongebob was the anti-christ the way the kid is screaming.  Anyway, these parents are asking for help and do you know what 99% of the replies have been?

"I'll message you a list of medications that my child is on for insert issue here."

Here is a list of why I find those responses absolutely terrifying:
  • The person asking for help (especially the newly diagnosed ones) might not realize there are other options if they don't know to look.
  •  I am the only person who has suggested anything other than drugging their children...at all. In any of the posts like this.  No one else have suggested a certain doctor to help them, a certain school, a certain therapy, a treatment, a diet. These people are only suggesting drugs.  No other help at all.
  •  Messaging someone a list of drugs implies that you know anything about THEIR child's problems.  Each case is unique and you don't know what their child specifically is dealing with. If you aren't a doctor you have no business telling someone that it's okay for their child to take something...EVER.
  •  Not one of these people has said "We use ______", they are all talking about drug cocktails.  They all offer to send  "a list".
I get so disheartened when I see things like this.  I've talked many times on here about how I don't think medication is BAD, it DOES help some people.  Some people need it, but a lot of people who are medicated don't.  It just scares me that this is the advice these groups all seem to be dishing out and it breaks my heart for their children.

P.S. 
If you haven't seen "The Medicated Child" do yourself a favor and watch it.  I always recommend this to people when these debates start.

No comments:

Post a Comment