Mar 8, 2012

Happy Women's Day!

Today is International Women's Day and I feel that it is very important to raise my son to respect women, and be a male feminist. We let him do his own thing, he is creating his own path and we're all very happy about it.  He has fairy tale books, comic books, action figures, and Disney Princess toys, he loves My Little Pony, Spongebob, Batman, and Hello Kitty.  He reads books about space and silly poems.  His favorite color is yellow.  He has never heard the terms "girl toy" or "boy toy" from us, though he does see them online when he looks for toys.  He has a broad range of interests and he honestly doesn't care what anyone has to say about it (which I'm proud to say he definitely got from me).

I feel like it's important to let children be who they need to be.  I don't understand parents who get upset over their children wanting certain toys.  IT IS A PIECE OF PLASTIC IN A DIFFERENT COLOR & MOLD.  I mean honestly, people who get bent out of shape about this need some serious therapy.

My parents let me dress up as Peter Pan for Halloween when I was six years old. I wanted to be Peter Pan because Peter Pan was my favorite story.  They didn't try to talk me into being Wendy or Tinkerbell. They let me be Peter Pan because it's a costume and a character and most importantly it's what I wanted to dress as.

I'll leave you with this clip from the TED event about a brilliant documentary called "Miss Representation". Everyone should see this movie.


I have this documentary as well as other female targeted things I've enjoyed listed over at my other blog.  Feel free to recommend things to me there as well as here.

No comments:

Post a Comment